Well shit. That’s not exactly how I would’ve drawn up the start to the second half of the season, but whatever. The Coliseum has always been a house of horrors for the Sox for as long as I can remember, and this turned out no differently. The Sox forgot how to hit during the All Star break, and Dylan Covey forgot what the strike zone looked like so he could avoid it with the cookies he was serving up. All in all it was a pretty shitty weekend of baseball for the Southsiders, and on top of that Brock Lesnar has the goddam title again. Ugh.
NUMBERS DON’T LIE
– Lets start with the positives, shall we? Reynaldo Lopez looked pretty damn good today. Moved his fastball in and out of the zone, located his changeup and slider and basically kept the A’s hitters off balance for most of the day. I’ll take 6 innings of 1 run ball from him every damn start of the week and twice on Sunday. He even left with the lead after Eloy launched number 17 to the deepest part of that goddamn canyon they play in. Granted, Evan Marshall gave that up 3 pitches into the next inning but whatever.
– Luis Robert had about 32 RBIs in his first weekend at AAA and (seriously) started off his career there with a grand slam. I can hear Rick Hahn practicing mumbling excuses for why he’s not here in September already.
– That’s about it for the positive stuff. The Sox suddenly turned into a bunch of pool noodle armed weaklings in the first 2 games. They banged out 17 hits in those 2 games, approximately ZERO of which went for extra bases. That’s pretty mind boggling right there. I’m willing to chalk that up as an aberration if you are.
– Dylan Covey flat out sucked to high heaven Saturday. There’s no other way to put it. He claimed he was too amped up to be facing his old team, but maybe he’s just not meant to be a starter. He’d make a great opener, though. If only there was a cool baseball story this weekend that illustrates how valuable an opener can be to a team with no 5th starter. Oh well.
– Nova once again gave up too many home runs, which really has been his only problem as of late. If he can cut down on those, I guess he’d make an OK 4th starter here. Not gonna hold my breath, however.
– Jose Rondon sucks. DFA his ass into the sun when Timmy gets back, which hopefully isn’t too far away as he’s apparently begun baseball activities in his rehab back from a high ankle sprain.
– This series sucked, but I’m not going to look too deep into anything. If the Sox have trouble scoring against the Royals this week and their collection of recycled arms then I may sound the alarm. Otherwise I’m just going to forget this weekend happened and redact it from the official scoresheet. Moving on.